Sunday, April 23, 2017

boots diner dialogue final 1

Tom in the crossword, Wanda's attention fixed on her tablet, propped up like a laptop.






TOM: Here's one for ya.


WANDA: Shoot.


T: Five letters. Starts with an L, ends with an I, if fourteen across is Miami, and I'm pretty sure that's where a dolphin might catch a football. Clue is, porch and or patio and or Pineapple Island, perhaps. Pineapple Island is in caps.


Wanda looks up.


W (beat) Lanai.


T L-a-n-a-i?


W Yes.


She turns her tablet to him. She's on the Wiki page for the Hawaiian island of Lanai.


T Well how 'bout that.


W Kismet.


T Well alright.


He plants a kiss on her lips.


T Oh. Kismet. I thought you said...well. Too late now.


She beams.


T (reading) Largest pineapple plantation in the world.


W At one time.


Tom sits back, fills in the crossword. She turns her tablet back.


T Fits.


W Teamwork.


T Teamwork.


WAITRESS, Rachel (name tag on gingham blouse), 20, arrives.


RACHEL: More decaf?


Both Wanda and Tom cover their cups.


T: No thank you.


W I'm fine, thank you, sweetheart.


T We were just fixin' to clear on out and give ya yer booth back.


R Oh stop, you just sit still as long as you want, besides which, we really aren't that busy.


T Yet.


R Right. (seeing Wanda's tablet.) Are you going to Lanai, too?


W Oh. No, I just sort of surfed my way onto it.


R Good one.


Tom shows her the crossword.


T Eighteen down.


R (reading) Patio...pineapple...perhaps. (two beats) Well how 'bout that?


T Speakin' a surfin', I was thinkin' I might take a lesson.


W Is that so?


T You think I ain't serious.


W Surfing.


T On a surfboard. Yeah.


Tom winks at Rachel, who smiles.


W You are kidding.


T Maybe I ain't. I was readin' they have lessons right there on the beach outside our hotel. And Waikiki beach is supposed to be real beginner-friendly.


R Well, water should be warm.


T Warm water and nice gentle rollers.


W What are nice gentle rollers?


T The waves I'll be ridin'. Hangin' ten.


W Ah.


R I can see it.


W Oh I can see it too. And you can be darn sure I'll be right at water's edge with the camera rolling.


R Youtube.


T Well, now, not so fast here.


DING DING of customers through the door.


R Be right back.


She darts off.






to be cont'd.

No comments:

Post a Comment