Friday, February 3, 2017

Yi 808: on NON-erasure of posts here

I have thought to edit/delete here, kind of in the name of "weeding" (and definitely re: a recent development), and might still but might not, just might instead leave the stuff on the walls because:


the footprints I have left in the mud here reflect every single silly (or stupid) (or solid) step I have taken to get to where I am now.


If they have been clumsy or misguided or deluded or projected or led to slips in which I land on my face, so be it.


I have played them as if cards dealt to me and, in so doing, have become a better - or at least, I hope, more insightful - player of cards.


Also, the history here, awkward or otherwise, is a kind of chronicle of a kind of evolutionary process. What I might seek to remove now - because it's unwieldy or makes me self-conscious or casts upon me a less than flattering light, etc. - might well be something I later regret removing.


I might not be the most forthcoming - loads of Scorpio - but I don't have any secrets to conceal. If "someone," ahem, sees something "someone" would like to discuss, we'll talk.


So, I am opting to NOT "weed."





Line-1
Legge: The first line, dynamic, seems to be thus addressed: "You leave your efficacious tortoise, and look at me till your lower jaw hangs down.” There will be evil.
Wilhelm/Baynes: You let your magic tortoise go, and look at me with the corners of your mouth drooping. Misfortune.
Blofeld: You released your sacred tortoise and stared at me with mouth agape -- misfortune! [The shells of tortoises were used for divination. Here, the implication seems to be that someone abandons his sacred duty in his greed (symbolized by ‘mouth agape') to obtain what he wants from the person to whom “me” refers. It may be that contemporaries of the authors of the I Ching were familiar with a story to which this sentence pertains.]
Liu: If you leave your divine tortoise and look at me with mouth drooling, there will be misfortune.
Ritsema/Karcher: Stowing-away simply the psyche tortoise. Viewing my pendant jaws. Pitfall.
Shaughnessy: Dispensing with your numinous turtle, and viewing our shortened jaw; inauspicious.
Cleary (1): Abandoning your spiritual tortoise, you watch my moving jaw – this is unfortunate.
Cleary(2): To give up your sacred tortoise and watch me greedily leads to misfortune.
Wu: “Abandon your spiritual tortoise and watch me with your mouth watering.” Foreboding.







Line-1
Legge: The first line, dynamic, shows that there is no approach to what is injurious, and there is no error. Let there be a realization of the difficulty and danger of the position, and there will be no error to the end.
Wilhelm/Baynes: No relationship with what is harmful. There is no blame in this. If one remains conscious of difficulty, one remains without blame.
Blofeld: Having no contact with evil, he is blameless; therefore, even if he is involved in trouble, he remains without fault.
Liu: Avoidance of the harmful brings no blame. Awareness of difficulty -- also no blame. [This line indicates sadness and confusion but also that one can avoid them by being cautious.]
Ritsema/Karcher: Without mingling harm. In-no-way faulty. Drudgery by-consequence without fault.
Shaughnessy: There is no exchanging of harm that is not trouble; if in difficulty then there will be no trouble.
Cleary (1): If there is no association with what is harmful, one is not blameworthy. If you struggle, there will be no fault.
Cleary (2): As long as there is none of the harm that comes from association, this is not blameworthy. If one struggles, there will be no blame.
Wu: His disadvantage is having no association, but it is not an error of his doing. If he is aware of his difficult position, he will be blameless.




No comments:

Post a Comment